Marketing Associate — Americorps VISTA
We’re hiring a full-time person to get the word out about student-led microfinance to the 4,400 colleges and universities across the U.S. that do not yet host a Campus MFI.
Campus MFIs are teams of college students that go off-campus and find people who need help. They spend time and motivate, give basic financial advice, and lend small amounts of money they have raised.
Lend for America (LFA), a program of The Intersect Fund, is on a mission to bring campus microfinance to every school in the country. But, Campus MFIs are a new idea that doesn't fit neatly into the paradigms of most university academic and extra-curricular programs. That's where you come in — you'll be on the front lines of our world domination plan — selling the virtues of campus microfinance on a daily basis to students, administrators, and faculty to meet our growth goals.
We're looking for someone who will make a major dent in the universe during a one-year VISTA term and transition to a full-time role with Lend for America (at a market salary) afterwards. The position will be based in San Francisco, CA and located at our office in SOMA.
- Generate interest to start new campus MFIs: Your job is to make a prospect list of the schools without campus MFIs, research and prioritize them, figure out who to contact, decide what the pitch should be and follow through.
- Close the deal: Once you have interest you'll get prospects to host info sessions and site visits, attend our annual conference, apply for our summer fellowship, and join our membership.
- Own and write LFA marketing materials: You are in charge of all the marketing materials for LFA, including our website, printed collateral, and phone scripts. As the person on the ground talking with prospects everyday, you'll have the most accurate knowledge of what prospects are interested in, what they get hung up on, and how to close the sale.
- Keep records up to date: Capture information about leads and university pipeline in our database so that they are visible to the rest of the team.
- Manage inquiries: Respond to inquiries and requests from people who find us online and reach out to learn more about LFA and starting a campus MFI.
- In conversations with strangers, you can probe and understand their interests, concerns, and motivations in order to develop a sales pitch that's right for them.
- You are meticulously organized and can create a system for following up with leads.
- You are persistent, can overcome objections, and are undeterred by rejection.
- You need minimal guidance, are proactive, and can handle uncertainty and ambiguity.
- You can write clearly and concisely.
- You thrive when given a big goal without specific instructions — you just make things happen.
- You can sell anything to anyone, including ice to an eskimo (we'll have eskimos at the final round interviews to verify).
This position is a full-time, paid volunteer position through the Americorps VISTA program.
Under the program, Americorps prohibits receiving any compensation for work outside of the living stipend, either from LFA or another job. In order to make it feasible for you to live in San Francisco, however, we provide our VISTAs with additional benefits beyond the living stipend.
Your compensation and benefits include:
- $19,272 pretax living stipend (paid via bi-weekly direct deposit by Americorps)
- Health insurance coverage (100% paid by Americorps)
- $9,600 housing stipend (paid monthly by LFA directly to your landlord)
- Monthly unlimited Muni/BART pass for San Francisco (purchased monthly by LFA, value $86/month)
- End of service award once you have completed a year of service ($5,500 toward grad school or paying off student loans, otherwise $1,500 cash — your choice)
- We provide an iPhone 5S for your use (personal & business) during the year with unlimited minutes and texting
- We provide a new Apple laptop for your use (personal & business) during the year